Ms. Branch defends employers in lawsuits involving a variety of legal claims, including wrongful termination, harassment, discrimination, retaliation, wage & hour violations, breach of contract, unfair competition, and other workplace misconduct. She defends academic institutions in employment disputes, breach of contract claims, and student claims of harassment, discrimination, retaliation. Ms. Branch defends clients in single plaintiff lawsuits, class actions, and actions under California’s Private Attorney General Act (PAGA); she also represents them before administrative agencies.
Ms. Branch also dedicates her practice to consulting with clients in order to help them avoid litigation. She advises public and privately held companies of all sizes, non-profit organizations, and educational institutions with respect to personnel and student issues, including discipline, termination, leave laws, disability accommodation, wage & hour issues, classification issues, and compliance with regulations applicable to government contractors and schools, including Title IX of the Education Amendments Act and FERPA. She routinely prepares handbooks, employment-related contracts, policies, and affirmative action programs. She also offers proactive training on unlawful harassment and best management practices.
Ms. Branch is a member of the Association of Workplace Investigators (AWI) and an AWI certificate holder. She serves as an independent investigator for employers and educational institutions seeking objective investigations.
Outside of her law practice, Ms. Branch enjoys cheering for her three kids from the sidelines of their many sporting activities, spending time with family and friends, cooking, and travel.
Honors, Awards, Recognitions
- Top Attorney in the area of labor and employment law, San Diego Daily Transcript (2009, 2012, 2013)
- Top 25 Women Lawyers in San Diego, Super Lawyers® (2010 – 2018)
- Top 50 Lawyers in San Diego, Super Lawyers® (2011, 2012, 2017)
- Super Lawyers of San Diego in the area of Labor and Employment law, Super Lawyers® (2009-2020)
- Women Who Mean Business, San Diego Business Journal (2010)
- Full article listing: /articles
- 2018 Employment Law Update – (January 2018)
- California Minimum Wage Scheduled to Increase to $15 Per Hour by 2022 – (April 2016)
- California’s New Fair Pay Act – What Employers Need to Know – (October 2015)
- What Every Employer Needs to Know about California’s Paid Sick Leave Law – (May 2015)
- New Employment Laws Effective July 1, 2014 – (June 2014)
- #MeToo – Preventing Harassment and Bullying in the Workplace, San Diego Society for Human Resource Management 2018 Law Day (1/10/18)
- Confused by the Smoke? Everything You Wanted to Know About Marijuana in the Workplace but Were Afraid to Ask, National Association of Minority and Women Law Firms Annual Conference (9/16/16)
- San Diego’s Earned Sick Leave & Minimum Wage Ordinance, WS Radio HR Insights Hour (7/3/16)
- Compliance With San Diego’s Earned Sick Leave & Minimum Wage Ordinance, Webinar for San Diego Society of Human Resource Management (6/16/16)
- Whistleblower Retaliation – Employment Law Think Tank, National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms Annual Conference (9/17/15)
- Beyond the Schoolyard; Workplace Bullying, Webinar for the National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (7/10/15)
- Workplace Privacy under the National Labor Relations Board’s Recent Interpretations of the National Labor Relations Act – Employment Law Think Tank, National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms Annual Business Meeting (2/9/15)
- What Every Employer Needs to Know About California’s New Paid Sick Leave Law, San Diego Society for Human Resource Management 2015 Law Day (1/21/15)
- Workplace Bullying – Employment Law Roundtable, National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms Annual Conference (9/23/14)
- Are you in Compliance? Tips to Avoid Wage Claims and the Associated Hefty Penalties, Association of Corporate Counsel, San Diego Chapter (7/10/14)
- Emerging Technologies – Changing the Way We Work and Think about HR, San Diego Society for Human Resource Management 2014 Law Day (1/22/14)
- Regularly presents seminars to private clients and insurance companies on topics such as the Prevention of Unlawful Harassment, Discrimination & Retaliation in the Workplace (in compliance with California’s mandatory training provisions), and Best Management Practices.
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Massachusetts
- California State Courts
- Supreme Court of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California